Pattern Review - New Look, 6469

Hey Everyone!
Another week, another make! Inspired by Rosabella from Sewn I decided to purchase the New Look, 6469 pattern and paired it with this luxurious stretch velvet from Minerva Crafts.


Originally I intended to make it in a similar purple stretch velvet from Goldhawk Road but found when I got home that the fabric was faulty and large patches of the pile were going in the opposite direction resulting in large black areas when the light hit it. Not sure what caused it but that will teach me to pay better attention to the fabric I purchase there in future by unrolling it some and checking for faults.
Pattern instructions were easy to follow and had clear illustrations. Originally I was a bit confused as to why you would need a zip in a knitted garment - surely you can just pull it over your head? I stuck with the pattern anyhow and I'm glad I did because the neckline is quite close fitting and so it would put too much strain on the neckband if you did not include this. It's easy to fit anyway so better to have it than not. Although, I did have some difficulty matching the neckband seams when aligning the zip so I would recommend really taking your time to check and double check this before committing to final stitching as it's very difficult to unpick stretch velvet!


I made sure to use a ballpoint needle and a stretch stitch for the majority of the stitching. The only part where I did not do this was stitching in the ditch on the neckband, this has to be done using a straight stitch. 

Once the dress was constructed, before hemming, I tried it on and found that the sleeves were not close fitting as I expected. I thought they would have had negative ease and therefore fit close to the skin but they did not. It looked a bit odd with this fabric so I re-pinned the sleeve seams in 6cm and restitched them so they would be a close fit. I am much happier with them now.
Despite having trouble matching the zip and having to re fit the sleeves this is a very good pattern and I would recommend it to others. It is very easy to fit due to it being a knit pattern and doesn't require any darts. In this velvet it can be easily dressed up and I think I may wear it for my birthday next month.


Happy sewing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern Review - Tessuti Fabrics, Felicia Pinafore Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, Trapeze Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, The Dress Shirt