Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, The Dress Shirt

Hello!

Last week I finished my first project since starting the blog and now I'm really pleased to write my first pattern review. I really enjoyed this project as it was super simple, quick to sew and perfect for this heat wave we're having! 
I picked up this pattern from Liberty because I just love the relaxed “cool” vibe that it has. I have always found Merchant & Mills patterns to have an All Saints feel to them and since I have never been able to afford any of their stuff I was really excited to find a pattern company with a similar style.
I decided to make it in a beautiful aubergine linen I bought from Fabricland online which I think suits the relaxed summary feel of this style.
It was a simple pattern to make, it has 6 pattern pieces and none of them require tailor’s tacks, just simple notches. It is well suited to a beginner sewer as there is not many technical parts, just normal sleeve insertion, a yoke, the front bib with a pleat and optional topstitching. The instructions were easy to follow with drawings of every step.
All in all, it took me roughly 4hrs to complete, most of the time was taken up by pressing all the seams and it doesn’t help that my iron is downstairs!
When I wear this I feel like a Roman settler, all I need is an olive reef on my head and a wooden bowl and I’m there! I’m sure I’ll get a lot of wear out of this dress.



 Ideas for adaptations:

  • Contrasting fabric in the bib - Broderie Anglais
  • Use a chambray fabric
  • Add a trim around the bib - frill
  • Make a shorter shirt version
  • Full length sleeves


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern Review - Tessuti Fabrics, Felicia Pinafore Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, Trapeze Dress