Pattern Review - Tessuti Fabrics, Felicia Pinafore Dress


This week I bring you the first of my autumn makes and the first of many pinafore dresses I'll be making this season. Originally I found out about this pattern from The Fold Line new pattern release video and I love the way they styled it layered over a black top with velvet platforms and wool tights – perfect for autumn! I always like a dress with pockets! The relaxed fit is great for lounging around indoors, curled up with a nice cup of tea after walking the dog.


I’d seen a lot of summer dresses and tops made in beautiful double gauze this summer and so with this pattern I thought it was the perfect match. I chose to make it in this mustard shade to be in keeping with my autumn wardrobe.


Pattern Company – Tessuti Fabrics
Pattern Name – Felicia Pinafore Dress
Size – XS
Fabric – Mustard Cotton Double Gauze from Material Girl Laura – Gorgeous fabric absolutely
recommend! Lovely texture, washes well and the colour was true to the website.

Alterations
Once I finished the dress I tried it on and found that the gathered waistline was very low on me and did not look particularly flattering – I have a short torso and wide hips. So, I took up the bodice 3.5inches and then it was perfect!




Likes:

  • This finish around the neck and arm holes is very neat and satisfying to sew. I think if you’re going to be layering a dress then you do not want to have a loose facing moving around against your top so this finish works perfectly.
  • The finish on the pockets. They’re not just your standard in seam pockets, there’s topstitching on the skirt front which gives added strength to the pocket and just makes it feel a bit more professional. I do always worry my in-seam pockets are not strong enough.
  • The pattern instructions were very clear with colour photographs of every step – you can’t go wrong really. It’s definitely a beginner friendly pattern.
  • The pattern instructions include seam finishing which is useful because a lot of patterns don’t and this makes sure you don’t miss anything.



Dislikes:
  • The seam allowance is ½” as opposed to 1.5cm like I’m used to so I think this affected the accuracy of my sewing – especially since I do not have ½” marked on my machine.
  • I found that on the shoulder the facings would have overlapped if I’d kept the seam allowance as the pattern said which would not have looked right on the outside therefore I increased the seam allowance at the shoulder so the facings were touching and graded out around the armhole.



Overall I really like this dress, it’s very comfortable and a flattering style and length. I love wearing it
with my ankle boots and burgundy tights. I’m going to get a lot of wear out of this that’s for sure!

Happy Sewing!

Liz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, Trapeze Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, The Dress Shirt