Pattern Review - Pauline Alice, Mirambell Skirt


Hey Sewers!

So here I bring you my final make of the summer, a lovely cotton, button down, melon print, skirt.



Pattern name: Mirambell Skirt
Pattern Company: Pauline Alice
Fabric: Cotton from Hobby craft
Buttons: Cherries from Hobby Craft (hemline) and Pineapples from Walthamstow Market
Size and Version: I made version B in size 36 



This is a beautiful pattern which I picked up from Minerva crafts inspired by all of the button down skirts I have seen this summer. I suddenly had a light bulb moment when I paired this pattern with this fabric and thought it just had to have fruit buttons! Essentially this was the main reason I made this skirt - just to use fruit buttons! 


The pattern is packaged beautifully in a cardboard envelope which opens out  at the back and it even comes with a clothing label which says 'Pauline Alice Patterns, Made By Me' on it, which is a lovely touch. 

I thought that given this is a skirt pattern that it would be a relatively quick and straight forward make. However, it was actually quite challenging as it has some technical aspects such as slash pockets, button band and pleats which when coupled with the fact that I wanted to add a lining meant this project was not as straight forward as I original expected. The instructions were straight forward to follow with simple illustrations but the pattern doesn’t have instructions for adding the lining so I had to figure this out myself.

To add the lining:

You basically make the skirt in the same way as the main fabric but rather than the front pieces being slashed for the pocket you need to make one continuous skirt front. This is something I made a mistake with as I cut the skirt front the same as the front meaning that once the pleats are sewn the waist is narrower than the main fabric. It was fine in the end however as I omitted the button band so I had excess fabric which could be moved across into the side seam. Before doing this though I had to hem the lining as this was tucked into the button band.

I didn’t alter the pattern pieces but during construction I found the waistband was too short to attach to the waist of the skirt. I think this was due to slight discrepancies in the stitching of the pleats making the waist wider. In future, I must mark them with an invisible marker pen to improve accuracy rather than pins. To fix this I took 1 cm out of both side seams and then it fit perfectly.

Ultimately the skirt did not look exactly how I imagined it would. Originally I planned to add patch pockets to the front but with the hip pockets I thought this would be a bit too much so decided not to in the end. I expected the skirt to hang differently, it’s very flared! With the lining as well it flares out a lot but even though this isn’t what I expected I still like it a lot.


Likes – melons! Fruit buttons, pockets have a flattering curve which compliments the kitsch feel of the fabric. Waistband is curved as well which is more interesting than just a straight band.

Dislikes – Would have appreciated the option for a lining in the pattern with actual lining pattern pieces as I feel this design of skirt suits a lining very well.

I would recommend this to a friend as it has some really cute details which take it from being a plain simple button down skirt to something a bit different that stands out.

                                            

Ideas for future versions:
  •  Make it in a blue and white striped cotton with a contrasting bright pink thread and quirky buttons. Could have some fun with the direction of the stripes
  • Make the waistband wider to make more a statement
  • Line the pockets with a contrasting fabric such as a black and white spotty satin
So that's it for my summer makes! Stay tuned for my Seamwork Design Your Wardrobe inspired Autumn makes coming soon!

Happy Sewing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern Review - Tessuti Fabrics, Felicia Pinafore Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, Trapeze Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, The Dress Shirt