Nina Lee, Bakerloo Dress

 

Have you ever had a fabric in your stash with no idea what to make with it and then, as if by magic, a new pattern is released which matches perfectly? Well, that’s what happened to me! I picked up this Chambray remnant from Ditto Fabrics in Brighton over a year ago, washed it, and lovingly placed it in my stash and there it sat until now. This fabric has a soft feel and good drape in a classic indigo shade so I knew I’d find something to make with it eventually.

When I saw the Bakerloo Dress (by Nina Lee) made up in chambray I didn't have to reach too far for my own, it was meant to be! The pattern has really clear instructions and is beginner-friendly. The hardest part is attaching the frill to the collar because it can get caught in the corners. I tried the top part on once I had stitched the side seams and I have to say it was a bit of a struggle to pull down over my bust. I double-checked the size chart and I’d definitely chosen the correct size but because generally, the waist is smaller than the bust there just wasn’t enough ease in the pattern to comfortably pull it down without causing stress to the seams. Therefore, I decided to add a zip into the underarm seam as I had seen in some of my other ready to wear garments.

In order to add the zip I had to reopen the side seam to just below where the sleeve attaches and then when assembling the skirt I had to keep the top portion of one side seam open. Then attached the skirt to the body leaving a hole at the seam for the zip to fit. Then I attached an invisible zip in the usual way and closed up the gaps at the top and the bottom to give a neat finish.

So glad I went to the trouble to add the zip as I can now slip it on easily and I know I’ll get much more wear out of it. Judging by previous makes, if anything doesn’t quite fit right or there’s some niggle somewhere then I never wear it so it’s definitely worth taking the time to make patterns work for you.

Overall I really love this look: statement collar and statement sleeves (which are really comfortable to wear) what’s not to love?! I’m intrigued to make the blouse version with a contrast frill on the collar, maybe once I’ve got on with using up the rest of my fabric stash!






 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern Review - Tessuti Fabrics, Felicia Pinafore Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, Trapeze Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, The Dress Shirt