True Bias, Salida Skirt

 


I planned to make this skirt last winter but then we had a scorching hot spring and it felt wrong to be making anything in corduroy! Even though it is my favourite fabric. Once we hit October it was like someone flicked a switch and we are now deep into autumn and I can finally get back to those projects I put on hold. First on my list was the Salida skirt from TrueBias. My brother had kindly gifted this pattern to me last Christmas – Thanks Bro! I’d picked up some buttery soft, forest green corduroy from Goldhawk Road, back in the days when we could venture into London and weren’t fearful of the bustling streets!

Before I could begin I had to choose which size to make, I have been blessed with quite a curvy figure which meant my waist was a good 4 sizes smaller than my hips which was a bit problematic as this is a fitted skirt. I persevered and decided to cut the waistband to the smaller size and everything else to the larger size and then once sewn, and before attaching the waistband, I would do a fitting and bring in the side seams. This worked out really well and I’m very happy with the final fit.

There is a lot of top stitching due to the panelled design so to be as efficient as possible I decided to batch sew. So I would do as many seams as I could with my normal thread and then once I got to a part where the seams would cross then I would swap my needle and thread to do the topstitching.

There are a couple tricky parts: the fly front and the kick pleat, so I would say if you’ve never attempted these features previously then take your time and watch tutorials to avoid ruining your fabric. I know there is a sew-along and a video for the fly front on the True Bias website.

Love the look of this skirt, the shape is really flattering and accentuates my waist. I would definitely say it’s more of a casual wear because of the fabric. It could be worn with trainers and a plain t-shirt or with some DMs and a band t-shirt for a bit more attitude.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern Review - Tessuti Fabrics, Felicia Pinafore Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, Trapeze Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, The Dress Shirt