Pattern Review - Vanessa Pouzet, Sister Mini

Hi Sewers!

The weather is slowly turning here in the UK which means I can actually photograph my makes! I've also been taking this opportunity to re-evaluate my sewing plans and going through the Seamwork - Build Your Own Wardrobe series again. I'm really keen to sew things which I know that I am going to love and keep wearing time and time again rather than just making for the sake of it so I'm taking my time and planning it all out until I am certain.

I recently had some time off work and what better way to spend my time than to sew! I sewed everyday for almost the entire day for about 7 days and I was starting to get a bit tired of it by the end if I'm honest with you! There's something quite lonely about being on holiday when no one else is even if I am spending my time doing something I adore. The next series of makes were as a result of this time off I had.

The first thing I made was actually a stash buster! Last year I made the Nina Lee - Kew Dress and I still had about a meter left of this lovely bottle green corduroy (from Ray Stitch) and I thought it would make a lovely mini skirt. I do not have any zip front skirts and so I chose to make Vanessa Pouzet - Sister Mini.I chose to line it with a purple floral Liberty tana lawn which I bought from the Knitting and Stitching Show. I picked the zip up from Missan on Goldhawk Road - who, I also found, has a fantastic remnant section upstairs!

Worn here with a Megan Nielsen - Rowan Tee

The first hurdle I had to cross with this pattern is that it's all in French and I cannot read French! With some help from my partner's colleague and a bit of Google translate I managed to figure it out. Thankfully it's a pretty simple pattern and the diagrams explain it well enough.

Another important thing to note with the PDF version is that there are no margins with patterns from this company so you literally just butt the edges of the paper together which actually is a lot faster and seems to be more accurate.


Once you get over the pattern being in French it's actually an incredibly easy skirt to make, I made it within a couple hours. It only has 2 pattern pieces - I added pockets to mine and used the pocket pattern from the Tilly & The Buttons - Clemence skirt for those. The only other amendment I made was to change the zipper pull in favour of a circular one from Prym. Although I would not recommend the Prym one because I do not trust the clip is strong enough to actually hold it in place and I worry I'm going to lose it one of these days!



All in all I would definitely recommend this pattern, it's super easy and suitable for a beginner, despite the language barrier. It's really versatile, I think it would also work really nicely with heavier weight fabrics such as wool and jacquard and it's easy to wear.


Happy sewing everyone!

Liz




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern Review - Tessuti Fabrics, Felicia Pinafore Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, Trapeze Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, The Dress Shirt