Pattern Review - Sew Over It, Mia Jeans


Hey Sewers,

This week I am reviewing the Mia Jeans pattern from the Sew Over It My Capsule wardrobe: City Break eBook. I made them in a 20% stretch black denim from Fabric Godmother

I was a little apprehensive about washing the denim because I had heard of others having issues where the dye washes out of the fabric inconsistently resulting in pale streaks where it's been folded up in the washing machine. However, I decided to continue as normal anyway and need not have worried, it washed beautifully. It was very creased, which is to be expected, so I ironed it out and was good to go.


This pattern is very economical for your fabric, I bought 2 meters and still have enough left to make a denim skirt. I did not follow the suggested pattern layout - I never do! I often find this isn't actually the most economical method.

The instructions were quite simple to follow with clear photos until you get to inserting the zip fly. I got completely lost at this point, I ended up looking it up on YouTube instead. I have made the Closet Case Patterns Morgan jeans recently and did not have an issue at all so I think the instructions could definitely be clearer on this part. 


The fit is okay but having worn them a bit now I think I will go back and take in the side seams a bit more because over the course of the day, like all jeans, they do get a bit on the baggier side. With the additional stretch in the fabric I think I could have afforded to make them a size smaller for more snug fit but it depends on your personal preference for fit. I also think the pocket placement is not perfect, they seem a bit on the high side to me so next time I would definitely pin and check before stitching in place.


I had a few issues with the topstitching and broke a few needles despite using a topstitching needle and trying with a jeans needle. I gave up topstitching the waistband as the fabric was too thick and just stitched in place with normal thread. I have since done some research and bought some 110/18 jeans needles which are much stronger so I'll see how they fair next time.


Overall I don't think I would necessarily recommend this pattern due to fit and confusing instructions. I have heard good things about the Closet Case Patterns Ginger Jeans so I might try those next and based on the Morgan Jeans I'm sure their instructions would be much clearer.

Till next time, happy sewing!

Liz  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern Review - Tessuti Fabrics, Felicia Pinafore Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, Trapeze Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, The Dress Shirt