Pattern Review - Nina Lee, Kew Dress

Hey!

Here I am bringing you my pattern review of my second Kew Dress. You may remember in my first post I uploaded a photo of me in my first winter version made in a bottle green corduroy. This time I wanted to make a summery version with the cold shoulder sleeves. I was inspired by the fabric which I found at Walthamstow Market, it's cotton with a ditsy meadow print. Love the little mushrooms and grasses giving this fabric a fairy-tale feel. I also found the buttons in Walthamstow Market which perfectly mirror the orange flowers in the print.


This was a really quick make, it took me 1 day from start to finish. I decided to batch iron so I sewed as much as I could without ironing then ironed everything together. This way I only needed 2 trips to the iron (which is downstairs) and I found it to be a much more productive way to work.


My only real bug bear with this pattern is that the cold shoulders sit quite tight against my arms meaning I cannot actually reach up! Hopefully I won't need anything on the top shelf whilst wearing this. Next time I would make them longer so there's more ease for my arms to move.

This is about as high as my arms could reach!

The only other adjustment I would make would be to move the bust darts down as currently they do not sit on the apex of my bust which causes a slight bulge in the fabric at the end of the dart.

Other potential hacks:

  • Add a frill to the straps
  • Make it in a denim with jean buttons
  • Add pockets! - either in seam or patch pockets 

I love the colours in this print and the fabric is not see through like most cottons I find so it didn't need to be lined but it's still light and breathable for the summer. With these colours it could even work in the autumn with some wool tights and a chunky cardigan.


I just need to make the sleeved version and the skirt and I have a full set!

All the best,

Liz xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern Review - Tessuti Fabrics, Felicia Pinafore Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, Trapeze Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, The Dress Shirt