Paper Theory - Olya Shirt

Introduction:

Honestly, I have been wanting to make a white linen shirt since I lost a beloved Hollister one I wore to death and this project has been in my stash for over a year now because other projects kept coming up. Anyway, I’ve finally made it (Olya Shirt, Paper Theory) and I couldn’t be happier with the result! If only I made it sooner!

Fabric:

I bought this linen from The Cloth Shop on Berwick Street, it was a little pricey but for a simple shirt which I’m going to wear all the time I wanted to make sure it would stand the test of time. It’s quite a medium weight with a rough texture that holds its shape easily so I knew it would be a good match for this style of shirt. If you’re looking for high-quality natural fibres then The Cloth Shop is the place to go, they also stock vintage trims which are beautiful! I picked up the buttons from here too, they’re coconut.

Pattern:

This pattern has very interesting cutting lines which are a bit confusing at first but it does come together in the end. Firstly the sleeve placket was unlike ones I have sewn before so it took me a few tries to get this right. Secondly, the in seam breast pockets were a bit more complex to attach than I thought and the diagrams and instructions weren’t always the clearest. I found myself having to walk through them step by step before I could see what it was asking me to do. Then came the square seam at the back of the arm, I had to watch a video to understand what was happening here which is linked to in the instructions. You need to be very precise to make sure the seam allowances are caught and you don’t end up with any holes or puckers.

Summary:

In summary this is probably the most complex shirt pattern I have ever sewn using a few new techniques I’m not familiar with. I enjoyed the challenge and so long as you’re patient it pays off because the end result is truly unique.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern Review - Tessuti Fabrics, Felicia Pinafore Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, Trapeze Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, The Dress Shirt