Burda, 6747


Dress and Shoes are old Alexa Chung at M&S. 

Here is my long-awaited review of my first ever rain mac. This is the Burda 6747 made in diamond bonded waterproof fabric (with Dewspo lining) from New Craft House. I had a voucher for New Craft House, and I wanted to get something a bit different which I wouldn’t normally get so this waterproof fabric was perfect.

There are a lot of things to consider when working with this kind of fabric and you need some special supplies including:

·         - A Teflon machine foot so the fabric doesn’t stick as you sew

·         - Wonder Clips rather than pins as when this fabric is pierced the hole remains

·         - Seam Sealant to fill the gaps in the seams to make the coat waterproof. You can get iron-on tape but you also cannot apply heat to this fabric as it will melt so I had to use the gel instead.

      This fabric is lightweight, and I wanted to make sure I would be warm so I decided to stitch insulation to the lining. I also needed to purchase sew-in interfacing for the collar and button placket. The Vilene website has very useful information about all the different product properties.

I removed the pleat from the back insulation so it wouldn't be too bulky


I chose this pattern for its swing shape and the simple design as with this fabric I thought it would be best to avoid too many technical details. The only adjustment I made was to add patch pockets rather than in seam pockets because they add to the 1960s aesthetic I was aiming for. Next time I would definitely size up because with the extra thickness from the insulation it is a little tight across the front now. One thing to note with Burda patterns is that the size chart is not on the pattern envelope, it’s on the pattern and the finished garment measurements are not with the size chart but rather printed randomly on the pattern pieces, I was getting quite frustrated trying to figure out which size to make by the time I found these!

The trickiest part of this coat was inserting the sleeves and I quickly realised why this pattern didn’t recommend vinyl as one of the fabrics – it has no ease! This made it impossible to attach the sleeves without puckers and to add to this I could only sew the seam once because every time you stitch a seam it pierces the fabric and if you keep redoing the same seam then it weakens the fabric. Anyway, once I did the topstitching it was barely noticeable. Although, if I am to use this type of fabric again then I would check if my pattern is meant for this fabric first. I noticed on the Tilly & The Buttons Edan jacket (which is meant for this fabric) they use raglan sleeves that do not require easing – definitely, a lesson learnt here!

Overall I am super pleased with how it turned out and all that I learned about this fabric. It has the classic 1960s look which I had imagined, and I even got a compliment from a stranger who said it looked really 60s so I’d say that’s a win!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern Review - Tessuti Fabrics, Felicia Pinafore Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, Trapeze Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, The Dress Shirt