My Latest Make - Megan Nielsen, Sudley Dress Hack

I saw this Mind the Maker viscose fabric on Sew Me Sunshine’s website and just needed it, even though I had no specific plans of what to make with it. The colours and abstract print really appealed to me! Then it sat in my stash for a few months waiting for inspiration to strike me.

Sometimes I buy a fabric and love it so much that I end up not using it because no project I ever imagine is good enough to truly showcase the fabric. I didn’t want that to happen this time so I began trawling through Instagram hashtags to see what other people had made with it and I finally settled on a hacked version of a dress I have made previously – Megan Nielsen,Sudley Dress (see previous version here).

I really love this shape on me, it’s relaxed and loose fitting which is great for the summer – if it’s not already over! I also think it will look lovely with tights in the autumn. I made the following hacks:

·         Added a frill to the waist seam

I did this by cutting 2 rectangles of the same width as the skirt pieces and then checking with a tape measure how long I wanted it – this was 4 inches. I treated it the same as the skirt, gathering them together before attaching to the bodice in one go.

·         I lengthened and widened out the sleeves

I used a tutorial from By Hand London for this. I am obsessed with statement sleeves at the moment and this fabric is perfect for them.

It was a very quick make and no fitting adjustments were necessary. Now to figure out what to do with the rest of my fabric hoard!











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern Review - Tessuti Fabrics, Felicia Pinafore Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, Trapeze Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, The Dress Shirt