Pattern Review - Greenstyle Creations, Midway Bomber Jacket

Hey Sewers!

I'm really excited this week to bring you my version of the ex Topshop fabric bomber jacket. I bought this fabric on Goldhawk Road just because it was so unusual! I mean what are these fluffy patches? Some look like liquirice allsorts, some look like flowers, either way it's hilarious! I don't think this fabric could have been made into anything other than a snugly bomber jacket. I used the Greenstyle Creations, Midway Bomber Jacket pattern. It has an optional lining, welt pockets and ribbed neck band, cuffs and waist.


I lined it with a black ponte roma from the same shop and bought the ribbing at the The Knitting and Stitching Show. The zip is from Minerva crafts. I chose not to use an interlining because the lining was already quite heavy and I was concerned that adding the interlining would make the jacket fit very tight and I would struggle to sew through all the layers especially with the welt pockets and the zip.

I had heard people had struggled with this fabric previously because the patches of fur were quite tightly woven resulting in many broken needles. Bearing this in mind I opted to use a heavy weight Jeans needle 110/18 which had absolutely no problem with this fabric even when going through many layers. I did have to use pliers to remove it from my machine though because it was quite a tight fit!


The pattern was really easy to use, it came with very detailed instructions with super clear diagrams for every step. The fit was as expected for a bomber jacket and even though it is designed for knit fabric it worked well with my choice. I would highly recommend it as it has a classic silhouette and comes with the lining option which I noticed many other bomber jacket patterns did not. The only thing I would do differently would be to hand stitch in the ditch around the waistband because doing this by machine was impossible to get in the right place on both sides!



The main issue I had making this jacket was the fabric! The woven backing is extremely fragile, if you handle it too much then it just falls apart! Before attaching the collar my neckband had frayed terribly so I had to go back and stitch in some interfacing to stabilise these areas as well as under the arms. Even though the jacket is lined I made sure to overlock all the seams because I think if I hadn't over time the jacket would just unravel.


As you can imagine making this jacket resulted in fluff literally everywhere! There were fluffy footprints leading out of my sewing room which my partner was not too impressed with - sorry!! Even since wearing it on the commute to work I can see the fluff transferring onto the suits of the men around me! Everyone at work now wants one of these jackets but I'm afraid I'm keeping this one just for me.


Happy Sewing!

Liz

Comments

  1. It's really good hand. We are a supplier of interlining fabric with different kinds of handfeel, if you need please click here Hair interlining fabric

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern Review - Tessuti Fabrics, Felicia Pinafore Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, Trapeze Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, The Dress Shirt