Pattern Review - Vogue V8772

Hello!

This week I have finally finished my Vogue v8772 blouse, slightly delayed due to miscounting how many buttons I needed and having to wait for the rest to arrive in the post - doh! I got there in the end though and I love it!


I was inspired to make this blouse by look a pinned on Pinterest, to wear with my Dani Pinafore dress. In the photos here I am wearing it with a simple hand drafted pencil skirt (fabric is an remnant from Ditto in Brighton) so you can properly see the whole blouse but it does look great with my pinafore dress. I'll try and get some photos up of that combo on my Instagram soon.
I made the blouse in a cream satin crepe which I bought from Minerva Crafts after I had already been satisfied with a sample they sent me. I wouldn't normally bother with samples but I planned this make as part of the Design My Wardrobe series which Seamwork ran last Summer and it was one of the activities. 


I feel a little wary of big four patterns since I have had fitting issues in the past and, unlike indie patterns, they tend to assume you know what you're doing and might leave out some steps like finishing seams for example. However, these instructions were remarkably detailed and took you through every step with relative ease. All the seams are French seams which gives a professional finish and is ideal for light weight and sheer fabrics where you can see the seams through the fabric.
I did not make any fitting adjustments and it fit perfectly out of the packet. The only change I made was to overlock the seam finish on the sleeves. I really struggle to insert sleeves and with this slippery fabric as well it just wasn't working out for me. Still looks very neatly finished though. This fabric frays A LOT so to make sure I got a neat finish on my buttonholes I used something called 'fray stop' which you just paint onto the stitching on both sides prior to cutting and not only does it prevent fraying but it strengthens the buttonholes - perfect!
All in all I really enjoyed this make, the blouse looked exactly how I expected it to and I believe I will get a lot of wear out of this as a layering piece.

Hahaha!! My brother asked me to take a photo doing the stance from the pattern cover - so sassy!

All the best,

Liz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern Review - Tessuti Fabrics, Felicia Pinafore Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, Trapeze Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, The Dress Shirt