Patter Review - Seamwork, Dani Pinafore


Hello Sewers!

It's been a little while since I've been able to post any news makes due to redecorating our home and having a manic time at the day job lately! It's Christmas time now though and that means plenty of time to sit at my machine and get making! So today I am bringing you a review of the Seamwork Dani Pinafore. I am a member of Seamwork so I got this with my credits but you can purchase it without being a member.


I made this dress in a very chunky navy corduroy I bought on a visit to Goldhawk Road. I deliberately waited until autumn to make my trek there as I knew they would have a good choice of corduroy then and it's my favourite fabric. The pattern is fully lined and so I used a simple matching navy polyester for that.



The pattern itself is a PDF which I am not 100% keen on as I find it difficult to get the pattern pieces to all match up perfectly but none the less I managed it. The instructions were relatively simple to follow, I did get  bit confused when attaching the lining to main fabric and had to go away and come back to it another day. The pictures are not extremely clear but once I sussed it out it was very straight forward and I think I would use that method again. It was a total light bulb moment!

Very happy with the finish on the lining even if it was a bit of a faff!

I did not make any fitting alterations apart from grading from a smaller size on the bust to a larger size on the hips. Although now that I've made it I probably wouldn't do that next time as the waist seam could probably do with being a little more fitted. However, since there are no zips and this is a pull on dress I think it is necessary for it to be a looser fit so you can actually get it on! Next time I would make it more fitted and put an invisible zip in one of the side seams.

It looked pretty much as I expected apart from the fit as stated above. I was worried the v neck might be too low but it was actually perfect. All the facings are firstly attaching to strips of the main fabric and then attached to the main which gives it a professional finish but attaching them was not easy due to all the curved seams. For that reason I would say this is an intermediate pattern. As always, it is really important that you cut out all your pattern pieces accurately and keep your seam allowances precise to make the construction easier.

I would recommend this pattern to a friend as I really love the final outcome - it's smart and chic and can be dressed up or down.

Happy sewing!

Liz

Comments

  1. I also massively struggled with the facings on this. It just wasn’t obvious at all! Got there in the end and glad u persisted as it’s a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yeah those illustrations were so confusing! I've been wearing mine so much, very versatile and good for layering.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern Review - Tessuti Fabrics, Felicia Pinafore Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, Trapeze Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, The Dress Shirt