Pattern Review - StyleArc, Stevie Jean Jacket

Hello!

Welcome to this weeks pattern review for StyleArc's Steve Jean Jacket. This is a classic oversized jean jacket pattern with all the bells and whistles you would expect including: welt pockets, sleeve vents, patch pockets and lots of topstitching!

Inspired by some images I saw on Pinterest I decided to make this jacket in pink corduroy which I bought from Fabric Land and lined it with faux shearling from Hobby Craft apart from the sleeves which I lined with a normal white cotton. I finished it off with bronze jean buttons from Minerva Crafts.


I am really happy with how this make turned out, it is exactly as I imagined and I don't think I would do anything differently. I think I might make another version in camel coloured corduroy with silver buttons or just a normal denim version.

The pattern it self is really well drafted and all the pieces fit together perfectly and create that signature oversized shape. However, the instructions were not very easy to follow and consisted of just a couple paragraphs of written instructions without any pictures or diagrams. There were also some typos and a couple instances where they had forgotten to add a topstitching instruction. Since I have been sewing for a long time, this was not a problem and I was able to make sense of each stage. I would not recommend a jacket pattern for a beginner anyway as it has a lot of technical aspects - especially the welt pockets, but I think that even an intermediate sewer would struggle with this pattern due to the instructions.



The hardest part of this make was the welt pockets as I have only ever done this once before. I found the instructions vague and confusing on this so I found an online tutorial for this part and did a practice first. In the end they turned out perfectly and would definitely recommend practicing first as it can be a bit fiddly!

This pattern does not come with lining pieces so I drafted these myself by piecing together all the relevant panels and cutting out just 1 back,1 front and a collar. I used a topstitching thread for all the topsitching to make it more of a feature. I did end up breaking a couple needles, I was using heavy duty needles but due to thicker fabric along the seams I had to change to a specific topstitching needle which is much sharper with a larger eye so it cut through the fabric like butter.



I absolutely adore this jacket! It's super warm and stylish, I never want to take it off! I plan to add some cute pin badges to the pockets and expect I will be getting it out every autumn.

Happy Sewing!

Liz 



 

Comments

  1. Hello! Your Jacket is so cool!!!! could you share the patterns ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Chic Little Girl's Jean Jacket Pink Sleeves is a trendy must-have, adding a touch of style to any outfit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pattern Review - Tessuti Fabrics, Felicia Pinafore Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, Trapeze Dress

Pattern Review - Merchant & Mills, The Dress Shirt